Monday, September 3, 2012

LaborDay&Hiking&Snowcones

One week down here in good 'ol Provo and I am loving life. Life is basically a constant party and I mean, who wouldn't love that?

To start my day, I had a good laugh playing around with my ever so entertaining iPhone.
Get it? Yeah I got a good kick out of it.

Happy Labor Day! I'm not really sure what this holiday is about (yeah I know, I really am in college I promise) but we didn't have classes today so yay for weird holidays and 3 day weekends!
So being from Texas and having no knowledge of hiking mountains and how awful it is, I thought it would be a good idea to hike the Y. My roommate Jordan was down for it because I mean everyone has to hike it once in their life so I mean, why not get it over with and make a fun day out of it? Yeah, no.

It looks so promising and cool when you start off, but don't be fooled my friends.

Let me just say that it was awful. A straight up climb combined with around a 1000 feet altitude change, thinner air, and a sinusitis problem that doesn't allow me to breathe all the way out of my nose basically means I almost died. Not really but I like to be dramatic so bear with me. About halfway up, I was getting super light headed so we stopped for awhile and used the incredible view to breathe for awhile. I felt bad for the two guys from Utah- Stephan & Seth- because I'm sure they were annoyed to have to wait on such a wimpy Texan. Jordan struggled a little bit, but she only really had one moment of weakness. Let's just say that after standing up really quickly and getting light headed, she warned us she was probably going to barf and then literally did like 30 seconds later. I wish we could've captured the whole moment because as soon as she was done, I'm pretty sure her exact words were- "Okay, I'm good. I feel much better now!" And then she stood up and was ready to go. Like what?! Who does that?? I'm pretty sure nobody.
Now for some reason, whether it be the fact that I was tired, sweaty, and probably a little dehydrated, I thought that this whole thing we had just experienced was just the most hilarious thing ever. I laughed for a good couple of minutes and then we commenced on with the death hike. It was just great.

After we got to the top, I kind of expected it to be really cool but honestly, it was just painted rock. The view was spectacular though!

Wouldn't you agree?



The rosy cheeks are a nice touch, eh? lolz

The group! 
Would I hike it again? Yeah probably not. Maybe when I get in better shape (which may be never) and get more used to the air, but lets be real- I will probably never get used to this paper thin air. I miss my humid, thick Texas air. It's better for my health.
Well anyways, after we survived the trek down the trail (which was frightening for a clumsy, barely able to walk on flat surface kind of girl like me), we piled in my tiny civic and headed for this cute little 50s restaurant called The Malt Shoppe. I really was dying for a snow cone but the only size that had was a 32 oz. cup so I thought well what the heck, I almost died today, I deserve a big snow cone right? Yeah, that wasn't a long internal debate.
I think the best part about this delicious, refreshing snow cone was the fact that it had ice cream in the bottom. I definitely recommend it if you ever have the chance to try it.

Before you judge me for being a fatty-
I didn't eat it alone. :)
So after I was sufficiently about to burst of shaved ice and ice cream goodness, we headed back to the good 'ol dorm and literally napped for a good 5 hours. I mean we almost died, so that's acceptable right? I would like to think so at least.

So basically long story short- Hiking the Y and almost dieing is a good excuse to do basically anything unusual like down a large snowcone and sleep for an unnaturally long time.

Laugh of the Day:

Jordan barfing on the side of the mountain in our trek up to the Y.
Why so funny? I have no idea. (Sorry Jordan)

No comments:

Post a Comment