Sunday, October 7, 2012

159Days

First of all, sorry I haven't posted in awhile but my computer has yet to return from the doctor (fingers crossed I get it in the next couple of days) and so it's been hard to find access to a computer.

Second of all, I was going to blab on and tell about my oh so exciting life over the past week, but it honestly doesn't seem to be as important anymore after today.
Twice a year, my church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) holds a general conference where the leaders and prophet of the church speaks to us and gives us guidance relevant to us today. Well this morning at the 1st session, President Thomas S. Monson announced that the serving age for worthy men and women to serve missions has been changed. Previously, men could serve at 19 and women at 21. But today, he announced that men can now serve at 18 and women at 19.
This is basically one of the biggest changes in the church that I might ever experience and it couldn't be more relevant to me.

159 days, 10 hours, 25 minutes and 43 seconds.

That's when I'll turn 19.
Needless to say I've been freaking out all day. Shock, confusion, scariness, nervousness, excitement, happiness: all spinning around in my head at the same time. The moment Jordan and I heard the announcement, I got chills. We both were freaking out, too in shock to even let it sink in. We had a good 30 minutes where we both just sat in silence and tried to process it. Even when I think about it now, I get chills. I could be leaving for a mission this summer! Of course, I don't have to leave until I'm ready, but it's still a crazy thought.
I've wanted to serve a mission for as long as I can remember and it probably all started with the example of my mom. She served a mission to Sweden and I can remember so many cool stories that she's told throughout the years. I know that it would be the right thing to do and I can't think of anything better than sharing the gospel 24-7, but it's definitely a decision that I'll have to ponder and pray about. I'm so grateful for general conference though and I do know that this change will bring so many more missionaries into the field. And who knows, maybe one of those missionaries could be me.

So we missed a lot of the saturday morning session (because we accidentally slept in) but we got this amazing opportunity to drive down to Salt Lake for the afternoon session. One of Briana's friends had two tickets so Jordan and I jumped on the opportunity. I felt that being in the presence of all the general authorities and feeling the spirit so strongly would help our conflicted minds with the whole missionary announcement. And I wasn't wrong! The conference center was amazing and I can't even explain how cool of an experience it was. I'm so happy to be a mormon and to be blessed with the gospel. I honestly don't know where my life would be without it.

No Laugh for Today: 

Rather just a lot of deep thought. But that's okay every now and then right?

No comments:

Post a Comment